This is a blog of my adventures in the kitchen. I always like to try new things, and I'm looking up different recipes constantly. Some recipes on here will be my own, some will be found recipes. Some will work, some won't. Trial and error, right? I'm no professional and I don't claim to be, I just enjoy cooking. :)

Monday, January 16, 2012

Egg-less Chocolate Cupcakes



After eating the shrimp etouffee and dirty rice, my husband made the comment that some chocolate cake would finish it off perfectly. You'd think he'd learn to never encourage me to make ANYTHING chocolate, but apparently not. ;)

I didn't want to spend the time on an entire cake, so I found this simple cupcake recipe and used it instead.

I didn't do step by step photos on this one. Sorry...

Chocolate Cupcakes

What you'll need:

1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup oil
1 cup water (I used milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon vinegar

Mix all ingredients together until moist and well blended.

Put in cupcake cups and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees F.

Frost with your favorite icing*.

*I made a chocolate buttercream. I didn't use exact measurements, so these are kind of guesses:

2 sticks butter, softened
1 lb powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/3-1/2 C cocoa powder
enough milk to desired consistency

Put the butter into a mixing bowl and add the vanilla and a little milk (maybe 2 Tbsp). Mix it up until blended and smooth. (I used a wire whisk beater on my Kitchen Aid mixer)

Slowly add the powdered sugar and cocoa powder, adding milk as needed.

Test the consistency and add more milk if you'd like.

Beat/whisk for another minute to fluff it up and frost your cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment