This is a blog of my adventures in the kitchen. I always like to try new things, and I'm looking up different recipes constantly. Some recipes on here will be my own, some will be found recipes. Some will work, some won't. Trial and error, right? I'm no professional and I don't claim to be, I just enjoy cooking. :)

Friday, February 17, 2012

Healthier Cream of Broccoli Soup



So, I've been feeling a little guilty about all of the "bad" foods I've made recently. Today, I was craving soup. I looked in my fridge and in my cupboard and found a few things I thought would be good thrown together, but still be fairly figure friendly. :)

The secret is the cream of celery soup. It made it thick and creamy, without adding fattening cream to it. :)

Things you'll need:

4 C chicken or veggie broth or 4 C water with bullion. (This is a complete guess. I just threw some water in and added some bullion granules.)
1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
1 can 98% fat free cream of celery (I think any "cream of" soup would work here)
broccoli (I used the whole bunch but cut off the florets and cut them small)
1/2 C grated cheddar
1/2 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp olive oil
1/4 C fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped

In a pot, saute the onion in the oil until soft. Add the garlic. Add the water and bring to a simmer.

Add the broccoli and let it simmer until the broccoli is cooked as much as you want. I cooked mine until it was pretty soft. :)

Add everything else, except the cheese, and heat it up until it's simmering.

Take off heat and add the cheese, stirring to melt. (I tasted this before adding the cheese, and it was good without, too. So, skip it if you want to save those calories)

I know some people blend up cream of broccoli soup in a food processor or with an immersion blender, I liked it chunky. :P

I put this into the sparkpeople.com recipe calculator and these are the nutrition facts I got from it:

Servings: 5

Per serving:

Calories 229

Fat 13

Cholesterol 39

Sodium 1181

Carbs 18

Fiber 2.7

Protein 10.7

No comments:

Post a Comment