This is a blog of my adventures in the kitchen. I always like to try new things, and I'm looking up different recipes constantly. Some recipes on here will be my own, some will be found recipes. Some will work, some won't. Trial and error, right? I'm no professional and I don't claim to be, I just enjoy cooking. :)

Friday, December 30, 2011

Pecan Pie



This photo doesn't do the pie justice, sorry...

With all of the rush of Christmas, I haven't had time to post. Unfortunately, I've done SO much baking/cooking, but haven't taken pictures of most of it. Plus, some of the things I've made my mom would kill me if I gave the recipe out. :P lol...

I'm posting a pecan pie recipe that I got from the Oct/Nov edition of Fine Cooking magazine. I made it a few weeks ago for my annual Christmas dinner party. I tried a couple of different pecan pie recipes that night, but this was definitely the winner. :)

I didn't use the crust in the magazine, but I'm sure it's amazing. Just use your favorite crust recipe.

What you'll need:

8 large egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 C packed brown sugar
1/2 C unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
1/2 C light corn syrup
1/2 C heavy cream
1/2 t kosher salt
1 1/2 C pecan halves, toasted, cooled and coarsely chopped (I didn't toast. I'm lazy)

Blind bake your crust ahead of time. (dry bottom and edges just starting to brown) This will help keep the crust from getting soggy when you bake the filling in it.

Heat oven to 325F with a baking sheet inside.

Put egg yolks in a bowl and add the vanilla. Mix it up.





Combine the sugar, butter, corn syrup, cream and salt in a saucepan.



Heat over medium heat, stirring often, just until the butter is melted and the mixture is hot but not boiling, 3 to 5 minutes.



Whisking vigorously, and constantly, very slowly pour the hot sugar mixture into the yolks. If you add it too fast, you'll get scrambled egg yolks. Yuck. Chef David Guas (this is his recipe, btw) added a great tip. Put a towel under the bowl to help stabilize it, that way it won't get away from you while you're whisking.

I didn't get a picture of this, because I was too busy vigorously whisking. ;)

He says to then strain this over a fine strainer, into a 1-quart measuring cup. I didn't do this. If you feel you may have curdled your eggs a little, then this is a good idea.

Spread the pecans evenly in the bottom of the pie crust, then slowly pour the filling over them.





Put the pie on the baking sheet and bake until the center of the pie is slightly firm to the touch and the filling doesn't wobble when the pie is nudged, 35 - 40 minutes.

psst.. I didn't use the baking sheet, but it's not a bad idea.



Let cool for at least 1 hour before serving. The pie can be made up to a day ahead, stored covered with plastic at room temperature, but it's yummiest fresh the day it's made. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment