This is a blog of my adventures in the kitchen. I always like to try new things, and I'm looking up different recipes constantly. Some recipes on here will be my own, some will be found recipes. Some will work, some won't. Trial and error, right? I'm no professional and I don't claim to be, I just enjoy cooking. :)

Friday, December 30, 2011

Risengrød (Rice Porridge)



Whether you call it Risengrød, Risgrynsgröt or Risgrøt, it's all the same thing. Rice Porridge. :)

A Scandinavian Christmas Eve tradition, risengrød has quickly become one of my favorite comfort foods. I'm eating a bowl of it right now, as a matter of fact. ;)

I found this recipe on an about.com article.

What you'll need:

1 1/2 C water
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 C rice (I used calrose, because it's my fave and I always have on hand)
4 1/2 C milk (I used 2%)
Cinnamon, sugar and butter to taste

Rinse rice well and drain.

In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, bring water, butter, and salt to a rapid boil over high heat.



Pour in rice, stirring constantly to prevent sticking.



Reduce heat to low, stirring rice until boiling is reduced to a simmer. Cover pot and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until rice has absorbed most of the water.



Personally, I think the rice is delicious just like this. :) But it's definitely not porridge yet.

Add milk to rice, stirring to incorporate.



Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly, then immediately reduce heat to low. Once boiling has reduced to a simmer, cover pot and allow to cook for 45 minutes. (Some say to stir occasionally, others say not to touch it the whole 45 minutes. I stirred occasionally.)



I should have cooked it just a bit longer, because this just wasn't quite thick enough for my liking... But, what do ya do?

Top with a little butter and cinnamon/sugar to taste. :)

For a quick riskrem, mix cold risengrød with some sweetened and whipped cream. Drizzle some raspberry sauce over the top!

No comments:

Post a Comment