This is a blog of my adventures in the kitchen. I always like to try new things, and I'm looking up different recipes constantly. Some recipes on here will be my own, some will be found recipes. Some will work, some won't. Trial and error, right? I'm no professional and I don't claim to be, I just enjoy cooking. :)

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Spaghetti and Meatballs



This isn't one of those "simmer all day" kind of spaghetti sauces, I just didn't have time for that. :P Okay, I probably did, but I didn't want to. haha. Also, I haven't been to the grocery store for at least 3 weeks, so I didn't have any fresh herbs, instead I used dry. Scoff if you want, but I'm okay with it and since I made this for myself, that's really all that matters. :P

Definitely double the sauce ingredients if you have more than a couple of people to feed.

Things you'll need:

Again, all sizes are approximate. I just kind of threw it together.

Spaghetti pasta
1 lb ground beef
1 egg
1/4 - 1/3 C bread crumbs
1/4 C grated parmesan
1 to 2 tsp italian seasonings
1/2 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
herbs, sugar, salt and pepper to taste

First, preheat your oven to 350F.

In a bowl, mix together the ground beef, egg, crumbs, parmesan, italian seasonings, salt and pepper.



Roll into balls, and place on a cookie sheet. I covered mine with aluminum foil, and sprayed a little cooking spray on it.



Pop it in the preheated oven.

While that bakes, make the sauce.

In a saucepan, add a teaspoon or two of olive oil. Toss in the chopped onion.



Cook that until it begins to caramelize, then add the garlic. You don't want to overcook the garlic, or it could get bitter. Continue to cook for a few more minutes.



Add the tomatoes, sauce, herbs, sugar (I used about 2 tsps), salt and pepper. Use whatever herbs you like best. I used about a teaspoon (give or take) of the following: Parsley, basil and oregano.

Don't worry about it being the exact taste you want right now, after simmering the flavor is going to change alot. Also, the tomatoes are going to break down a bit during the simmering, as well.



Cover it up and let it simmer while the meatballs cook.



When the meatballs are cooked all of the way through, add them to the sauce and get your pasta cooking.

Taste the sauce and add whatever it needs. If it's a little too acidic, add a little more sugar.

Optional: add some of the pasta water to the sauce, and let it simmer down a bit. It can help thicken it up a bit of you think it needs it.





Plate it up, throw on some parmesan and eat! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment