This is a blog of my adventures in the kitchen. I always like to try new things, and I'm looking up different recipes constantly. Some recipes on here will be my own, some will be found recipes. Some will work, some won't. Trial and error, right? I'm no professional and I don't claim to be, I just enjoy cooking. :)

Monday, April 2, 2012

Chicken and Black Bean Fajitas



I had a lonely little chicken breast sitting in the fridge, just begging to be cooked, and fajitas sounded delicious. :) Plus, I wanted something healthy to make up for the pizza and cake I had yesterday, to celebrate my dad's birthday. (Happy Birthday, Dad!) lol.

The photos aren't great. It was hard to get a yummy picture with the tortillas covering all of the yummy deliciousness inside, so I took a picture of the "guts" just to show you what it looked like. Yeah, it's not the prettiest but it really was good! :D



This recipe makes enough for 5 or 6 fajitas. The nutrition listed is for 5.

Here's what you'll need:

5 Don Pancho high fiber, low carb 6" tortillas (love these! - 70 calories ea.)
2 chicken breasts (12 oz total)**
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
onion, sliced
bell pepper, sliced
lettuce, chopped
tomato, chopped
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp oregano
salt and pepper to taste

**I'm listing two chicken breasts because if I were making this meal for a family I would use more meat. It's not necessary, though. I used one breast. The nutrition info at the bottom of the page is including 12 oz of chicken, instead of the 6oz I used. You could also go completely vegetarian with this, since the beans and the tortillas (don pancho) add quite a bit of protein.

Start by cooking your veggies. I cooked mine in water, but if you want to use oil be my guest. ;) Just know it will add to the nutrition facts.

Add the veggies to a pan and throw in some water, salt and pepper. Let them cook until the onions are soft and the peppers are sorta soft. Throw in the beans and cook another minute or two, or until all of the water has evaporated. Put that in a bowl and set aside.

Now, add your chicken. I also added water* to cook the chicken, instead of oil. Add the chili powder, cumin and oregano (my favorite seasoning combo), and salt and pepper to taste. (how many times can YOU say "and" in one sentence?) ;)

Cook until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink, if you run out of water before then, add a little more.

*Remember as you're cooking this that water evaporates, but salt does not. If your chicken is done and you taste it, but it still has water in it, it's going to taste saltier once the water evaporates. I've over salted because of this more than once.

Add the veggies back in and cook until the water has evaporated completely, you don't want watery/runny filling for the tortillas. ;)

Now, just assemble the fajitas as you like. I warmed the tortillas then stacked filling, lettuce and tomato. I didn't use cheese, but it would be delicious with it. :)

Nutrition:

Cal -- 243
Carb -- 31
Fat -- 3
Protein -- 25

No comments:

Post a Comment