This is a blog of my adventures in the kitchen. I always like to try new things, and I'm looking up different recipes constantly. Some recipes on here will be my own, some will be found recipes. Some will work, some won't. Trial and error, right? I'm no professional and I don't claim to be, I just enjoy cooking. :)

Friday, March 30, 2012

Chicken and Spaghetti Squash





This was one of those panic meals. You know, the ones that you frantically run around the kitchen trying to find anything that you can mix together to call a meal. It turned out surprisingly delicious.

I started with a plan of chicken, spaghetti squash and spinach but I didn't have spinach like I thought I did. Instead, this is what I did. This is more of a meal for one sorta thing, but if you add some more chicken to it you could easily feed two with it.

What you'll need:

Spaghetti squash
1 chicken breast
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 roma tomato, diced
1/4 C grated zucchini - completely optional. I just wanted something green. lol.
1/8 C grated parmesan - Yeah, I used the weird powder stuff in the green canister, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. lol.
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp sage
salt and pepper to taste

First, start with the squash. Slice it down the center with a really sharp knife, and be careful! They're sometimes a pain to cut. Scrape out the seeds and gunk (technical term, I swear), and place cut side down on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. I lined a baking dish with aluminum foil, so I didn't have to wash it. ;)

Bake at 375F for about 40 minutes.

When that's finished, carefully scrape out the "spaghetti" with a fork. Set that aside.

In a pan heat up the oil. Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and add to the oil. Add some salt, pepper, thyme and sage.

Next time I do this, I'll start with sauteing some chopped onion and garlic.

Cook until the chicken is cooked through.

Throw in the rest of the ingredients and cook until it's all hot and delicious. ;)

Serve it up!

Calories: 484
Carbs: 26
Fat: 16
Protein: 49

2 comments:

  1. I've never had spaghetti squash before. Is the taste similar to cooked pasta?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The taste is actually quite bland, so you mostly just taste whatever is used as seasoning. I use spaghetti squash as a pasta replacement quite often, Ray (who usually HATES all squash) likes it simply with butter, salt and pepper. :)

    ReplyDelete