This is a blog of my adventures in the kitchen. I always like to try new things, and I'm looking up different recipes constantly. Some recipes on here will be my own, some will be found recipes. Some will work, some won't. Trial and error, right? I'm no professional and I don't claim to be, I just enjoy cooking. :)

Monday, October 3, 2011

Bread and Butter... and Jam.



Last night Ray and I went to a family dinner at my parent'. My dad loves to bake bread, and before we headed home he gave us a loaf. I thought to myself, "I can't ruin perfect homemade bread with store bought butter and jam," so I decided to make my own.

At a recent family reunion my cousin taught us all how to make butter the easy way, in a jar. We used baby food jars since we were just making small amounts. Today, I used a jelly jar.

What you'll need:

- A jar with a tight sealing lid
- Heavy whipping cream
- Salt (optional)



That's it!

Fill the jar halfway with cream, give or take. It's not an exact science.



If you want salted butter, now is a good time to add the salt. A pinch or two should do it.

Now, tightly close the lid and shake back and forth. Shake, shake, shake. Now is a good time to enlist husband or kids for help... I don't have kids, so my husband did the work. ;)

Keep shaking until you get this:



The blob is the butter, and the liquid around it is the buttermilk.

Drain the buttermilk off. If you're going to eat your butter right away, then you're done. Enjoy! If you're wanting to save it for a bit longer then you'll want to knead the butter under cold water to squeeze all of the buttermilk out of it. Otherwise, it will spoil quickly.

Ray and I chose to eat our butter straight away with my dad's bread and some homemade freezer jam I made months ago. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment