This is a blog of my adventures in the kitchen. I always like to try new things, and I'm looking up different recipes constantly. Some recipes on here will be my own, some will be found recipes. Some will work, some won't. Trial and error, right? I'm no professional and I don't claim to be, I just enjoy cooking. :)

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Strawberry Clafoutis



We had an Italian dinner tonight and finished it with a French dessert. ;) With my husband leaving, my posts may be a bit more sporadic since I don't cook as much when he's gone.

Traditionally a clafoutis is made with cherries, but I couldn't find any fresh cherries at our local grocery store and I didn't want to use frozen. I used strawberries instead. It definitely didn't hurt my feelings, since strawberries are my absolute favorite! I quartered them. Clafoutis makes a great dessert, but is also great as an indulgent breakfast or brunch.

So many people think of french foods and get intimidated. This is so incredibly simple.

I used Julia Child's Cherry Clafoutis recipe, and just subbed the cherries with strawberries.

What you'll need:

1 1/4 cups milk
2/3 cup sugar, divided
3 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup flour
3 cups cherries, pitted
powdered sugar, for garnish (optional)

Preheat your oven to 350°F.

Using a blender, combine the milk, 1/3 cup sugar, eggs, vanilla, salt and flour, and blend.



Lightly butter an 8-cup baking dish, and pour a 1/4-inch layer of the blended mixture over the bottom. Set remaining batter aside. (My dish was NOT that big. It was a regular sized tart dish.)



Place dish into the oven for about 7-10 minutes, until a film of batter sets in the pan but the mixture is not baked through. Remove from oven (but don’t turn the oven off, yet).



Distribute the pitted cherries over the set batter in the pan, then sprinkle with the remaining sugar. Pour the remaining batter over the cherries and sugar.





Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 60 minutes, until the clafouti is puffed and brown and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.

If desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment