This is a blog of my adventures in the kitchen. I always like to try new things, and I'm looking up different recipes constantly. Some recipes on here will be my own, some will be found recipes. Some will work, some won't. Trial and error, right? I'm no professional and I don't claim to be, I just enjoy cooking. :)

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Sloppy Joes



Okay, if you're looking for some awesome, unique, fancy way to prepare Sloppy Joes then you should probably keep searching... This is just a basic, easy, cheap way to make them. This recipe came from my grandma and it's been a staple in my family for as long as I can remember. It's not one of my husband's favorites, so I make it when he's gone. :)

Things you'll need:

1 lb ground beef
1 onion, grated
1 - 8oz can tomato sauce
1/4 C ketchup
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp vinegar
Hamburger buns
Your favorite sloppy joe toppings

First, brown the ground beef and onion together. I don't grate mine because I like the big chunks of onion in it. Grating is great if you have kids, though. They'll never know that they're in there. ;)

This is actually 2 lbs of ground beef. I'm cooking extra beef now to freeze and safe to use another day. It's a quick trick I use when I'm cooking for one. :)



While it's browning mix the tomato sauce, ketchup, sugar and vinegar in a bowl. If you want to skip this, and just throw it in the pan after you finish browning, go for it... I won't judge. ;)



Once the beef is browned, drain off the fat and add the sauce.





Let it simmer on a low setting for 20 minutes.



Slap it on a bun with your favorite toppings (mine of which are cheese and dill pickles), and you're done! :) Easy as pie!! Which is really a dumb expression. Pie isn't THAT easy... Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment